Sunday, April 29, 2012

Both Sides

Considering how much time and attention people put into the products they market, I suspect that it was no accident.  The people who put together Sara Evans' cd called "Born to Fly" must have put them back to back intentionally.

There are two songs that speak volumes about the human heart. There comes up quickly on the album the song, "I could not ask for more."  "lying here with you, listening to the rain, smiling just to see the smile upon you face, these are the moments I thank God that I'm alive, I've found all I've waited for, and I could not ask for more. "  There other verses that repeat the same contentment and satisfaction with life. Life is good, and she is happy, and there is nothing more that is needed.

Until you get to the very next song which is "Something more."   "Just as soon as I get what I want I get unsatisfied. Good is good but could be better. I keep looking for something more.... I keep looking for something more, I always wonder what's on the other side of the number two door, I keep looking for something more."  A dissatisfaction with whatever you have, a restlessness for what you do not have.

Such is the constant condition of our lives. There are great moments when we thank God we are alive, and are content with life. But they do not last long because there is this other part of us that is always looking for something more.

They both speak to the reality of the spiritual dimension within us. That there are moments when we feel and know that we owe a word of gratitude and thanks to something or someone for what we have is more than we deserve. And there is that restlessness of the heart that Augustine and so many others suggest is a restlessness of the human heart to be filled with the presence and power of God.  There is a God size hole in the human life that makes us always discontent with all that is here on earth.

No comments: