Monday, February 6, 2012

Spiritual but not religious

There are a great number of people today in our society who describe themselves as "spiritual but not religious." That is an intriguing self description to me. I have had it explained to me that these may be people who have some conviction that there is a Holy, that there may be a Higher Power, that there may be dimensions and powers that are outside the realm of the rational and natural, but who do not identify with any organized body of believers. They do not participate in the traditional denominations. They do not endorse the standard expressions of creeds and doctrines.

I can appreciate very much that there are lots of people who do not find the standard worship of Christian congregations very satisfying. Heaven knows I have done my share of preaching boring sermons, and I have never been able to get added to my worship services any uplifting strong music, and the sitting still in pews is not very engaging. There may well be hunger for "God" that is present in the lives of many that is not being fed by what is being offered in many places of worship.

Yet the phrase still sounds a bit misguided to me. I have found three basic definitions of Religion: a set of beliefs, a particular system of faith and worship, and a pursuit or interest which someone has in a supreme being. Paul Tillich called God that which is our ultimate concern. It seems to me that if one has an interest in the spiritual dimension of life, she will have some definitions of what that spiritual dimension is and how it relates to her life. That would seem to me to fit in a set of beliefs. It follows to me that as I seek to respond to that spiritual reality that there are certain things I would do to encourage the flow of that spirit through me. In the biography of Steve Jobs, it was said that he reread the Autobiography of a Yogi every year to nurture his zen spirit. Those activities would be, in reality, the system of worship or the practice of faith. The things one does to express, welcome or develop that Spiritual dimension in life is a religious practice by definition.

I understand what the phrase is trying to express. I also think that it suggests a kind of vague and careless thinking about the spiritual dimension of one's life. If the phrase is serious and the idea of a spiritual reality is in their heart, and they have no religious response to that urging, if they do absolutely nothing to respond to that feeling or thought, then I guess it is an accurate phrase. I am reminded of the response one minister made to a man who said, "I can worship better out on the lake." The minister said,"But you don't. Yes, you could open yourself up to the Spiritual reality out on the lake, but the reality is you never even pause to give it a thought" Those who are Spiritual and have their own way of relating to that power have their own religion.

No comments: